Survivors of Suicide Loss
Please note: this is not a crisis website for those experiencing suicidal thoughts. If you or someone you know is in immediate danger, please call the Giving Hope Suicide Prevention Hotline at 1-888-506-5991 or 911. You can also reach out to the Crisis Text Line by texting HOME to 741741.
Survivors of Suicide Loss Support Groups
Please join us at the bi-monthly peer-led support group for Fresno Survivors of Suicide Loss.
This support group is facilitated twice each month.
This group is free of charge, meets the 2nd & 4th Thursdays of each month from 6:30-7:30pm and is open to anyone in the community who has lost a loved one to suicide.
If you would like to attend, please call (559) 322-5877 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to register for the support group.
Suicide Loss Survivors’ Bill of Rights
June 24, 2019, Author: Joann C. Mecca
- I have the right to be free of guilt.
- I have the right not to feel responsible for the suicide death. ● I have the right to express my feelings and emotions, even if they do not seem acceptable, as long as they do not interfere with the rights of others.
- I have the right to have my questions answered honestly by authorities and family members.
- I have the right not to be deceived because others feel they can spare me further grief.
- I have the right to maintain a sense of hopefulness.
- I have the right to peace and dignity.
- I have the right to positive feelings about the one I lost through suicide, regardless of the events prior to or at the time of the untimely death.
- I have the right to retain my individuality and not be judged because of the suicide death.
- I have the right to seek counseling and a support group to enable me to honestly explore my feelings to further the acceptance process.
- I have the right to reach acceptance.
- I have the right to a new beginning.
- I have the right to be.
Learn about the history and future of Fresno Survivors of Suicide Loss.
Fresno Survivors of Suicide Loss has been serving the Fresno Community since 1985. They were founded with the mission to support survivors and educate the community about suicide loss and suicide prevention. As a program under the Hinds Hospice Center for Grief and Healing.
“We are so grateful to the Gallaghers for their work in starting Survivor’s of Suicide Loss, which has been a beacon of hope to so many. The grief associated with a death by suicide can often feel isolating and the support provided by SOS has provided hope and healing to many in our community. Fresno County experiences an average of two deaths by suicide each week. The Center for Grief & Healing at Hinds Hospice has been providing grief support services to our community for over 10 years, and we are honored to continue the work of supporting survivors knowing this support is vital to our community.”
– Kathy Cromwell, LCSW
Executive Director of Counseling & Support Services, Hinds Hospice
Donations & Support
Donations and support for Fresno SOS can continue to be made directly to the program, for questions and resources please call 559-322-5877.
Fresno Survivors of Suicide Loss
2490 W. Shaw Avenue #101
Fresno, CA 93711
Suicide Loss Information and Resources
Media Guidelines for reporting on Suicide
American Association of Suicidology